Golden Retriever Poodle Mix: Characteristics of the Goldendoodle
Estimated Reading Time:
If you are looking for an intelligent, affectionate, and easy to train dog, consider adopting a Golden Retriever Poodle Mix. Goldendoodle will surprise you. On the one hand, we have the warm and affectionate character of the Golden Retriever, and on the other, the intelligence and uniqueness of the Poodle. Discover all the characteristics of this mixed breed.
Golden Retriever Poodle Mix: What is this dog like?
Groodle, goldie poos, golden poos... There are several ways to call the Goldendoodle, the cross between the golden retriever and the Poodle.
We have in the cocktail two sociable and outgoing breeds whose mixture is quite modern. They were initially bred to create a poodle-style pup that was also hypoallergenic, intelligent, and loving. And the idea was a complete success! It is very difficult to meet an aggressive or disobedient Goldendoodle, unless, of course, they have not been treated well or have not been educated.
If you're looking for a medium-sized dog that loves long walks and gets along with everyone, your search might be over; we present to you the Golden Retriever Poodle Mix!
- Golden Retriever: We already know that the golden retriever is a dog with incredible nature. Perhaps they are the most beloved and at the same time loving dogs. He is a playful, patient, obedient and affectionate breed. He is a fairly large dog as the males can grow up to 58-62 centimeters, while the females are a little smaller. These dogs are often chosen as pets for families with children because of their ability to get along with the little ones in the house.
- Poodle: Many people are in love with Poodles for their unique and quirky appearance, but they are so much more than that. We know that they are extremely intelligent and that, at the same time, they maintain an affectionate, loving, and warm attitude. Poodles come in various sizes, from the 'mini' to the standard poodle. "Classified as the most intelligent breed after the Border Collie, the Poodle is a very skilled dog. That is why they are ideal for serving as assistance or service dogs," explains Susanne in her book Goldendoodle: Goldendoodles Owners Bible.
Origin and history of Golden Retriever Poodle Mix
As we have already seen, these dogs began to be created to create one of those so-called hypoallergenic breeds, a virtue possessed by the poodle, which loses very little hair. In this way, the exaggerated molt of the golden was compensated.
The first puppies of this mixed breed date back to 1992, originating in both Australia and the United States simultaneously.
It is currently considered a hybrid breed, so it does not have an official cynological standard. Namely, The FCI does not recognize it.
Character of the Goldendoodle
To define the personality of these dogs, we are going to separate the positive and negative aspects of their temperament:
- Kind, loving, and generally sensational with strangers.
- Ideal as a first dog for a person who has never had pets before.
- Smart and easy to train.
- Hypoallergenic: The risk that he can cause allergies in humans is very low.
- Fits easily.
- Very prone to separation anxiety, so should not be left alone for too long
- He can be high maintenance depending on his coat. You have to brush them constantly.
- He needs plenty of exercise, play time, and mental stimulation.
- They are not great watchdogs, simply because they are charming to all people!
- He can become destructive if he gets bored.
Physical Characteristics of the Golden Retriever Poodle Mix
Weight and height
His weight ranges between 14 and 21 kilograms, and his height reaches between 61 and 66 centimeters in males and 56-58 centimeters in females.
Their hair varies depending on their parents -it can be curly and also straight, although the most normal thing is that it is wavy and quite thick-and his color also changes between different shades of gold, black, brown, white, gray, cream, and red. It can grow very large if not trimmed.
Their coat also varies from puppy to puppy, even within the same litter! Their curly hair usually grows between 5 and 8 centimeters. Although they are low-shedding dogs, they will need regular brushing to keep their coat in top condition. They should have their hair cut once or twice a year.
More physical attributes
Their bodies are athletic and muscular, with a square base, and they stand out for their large, round, expressive eyes. It seems that they are even profiled and have eyebrows! His nose is square.
Their ears are usually quite flat and set on the highest part of the head. It is a good idea to check them frequently for wax on a regular basis.
Best Products For The Golden Retriever Poodle Mix
Health of the Goldendoodle dog
As is often the case with mixed breeds, the Golden Retriever Poodle Mix can inherit health problems from both parents. It is impossible to predict the future, so it is best to be aware of risk conditions and their associated symptoms.
- Von Willebrand's disease. It is an inherited disorder in blood coagulation that affects the conformation of platelets
- Hip and elbow dysplasia
- Progressive retinal atrophy
- Subaortic stenosis
- Ear infections
You should take your dog to the vet if you have any symptoms.
Education and care of the Goldendoodle dog
Despite intelligence and obedience that is beyond question, they need training and socialization to become well-rounded dogs. It's best to start early and set some ground rules early on.
How to stimulate the Golden Retriever Poodle Mix
This breed can begin to learn simple commands at eight weeks of age. We recommend that your Golden Doodle socializes from an early age with people, animals, and children.
The great thing about this breed is that they love to learn new things and always want to please their owners, so positive reinforcement works wonders! Inheriting intelligence and sensitivity from both parents, this mix will not respond well to yelling or harsh corrections.
Training a Goldendoodle
No matter what size you choose (there are mini and standard), they will be full of energy. This breed of dog will need daily physical exercise, lots of toys, and playtime to keep each specimen stimulated.
If you choose to adopt this breed, then you will need to provide around 60 minutes of daily exercise and go from there!
The Golden Retriever Poodle Mix adapts perfectly to each type of setting and is known to live comfortably and happily in flats or apartments as long as his humans take him out and provide him with significant social interaction.
If you have children, this breed will love to play with them and, most importantly, they can be trusted. Thanks to that, the Golden Retriever Poodle Mix is a great family dog.
Goldendoodles crave companionship and thrive best in life when they are around the people they love. However, they are prone to separation anxiety and do not cope well with being left home all day. This aspect is very important when adopting a specimen of this breed.
You will need to be able to provide the dog with constant interaction and not leave him home for hours on end. When this crossbreed feels isolated, they quickly become depressed and can experience behavioral problems.
These dogs are hilarious and even a little mischievous, but in a very nice and peculiar way. For example, they will likely find out where you keep their treats and will not stop trying to 'hunt' them because they have a fantastic smell.
The life expectancy of this lovely dog ranges between 10 and 15 years.
Leave a comment